When it was the Fifa World Cup we kept our readers up to date with all luxury news surrounding the grand sporting event, including the most expensive players that played the coveted tournament. With the English Premier league already underway, we hope to do the same. And our luxury update on the EPL begins with presenting you with a list of the top ten most expensive players to have ever played in this league. The list has been compiled by Goal.com. Surprisingly, Newcastle United legend Alan Shearer, who in 1996 set a British transfer record after he joined from Blackburn Rovers for £15 million, has not found a place on this list.
Leading the race and ranking number one on this list of the most expensive English football players of all time is Manchester United’s center back, Rio Ferdinand. The man chosen by Fabio Capello to replace John Terry as captain is the most expensive English player of all time earning a staggering transfer fee of £31.1 million ($48.2 million).
Manchester United striker, Wayne Rooney is number two on this list whose transfer fee amounted to £25.6 million ($39.7 million).
My personal favorite, David Beckham sits at number three on the list. The former Manchester United star who transferred to Real Madrid earned a £25 million ($38.8 million) in transfer fees.
Joleon Lescott, Manchester City star has secured the fourth spot courtesy his £22 million ($34.1 million) transfer fees.
Chelsea’s Shaun Wright-Phillips rounds off the top five of this list earning £21 million ($32.6 million) in transfer fees.
The last five to have made it on this list are as follows:
6. Manchester United player Michael Carrick. Fees- £18.6 million ($28.8 million).
7. Manchester City player James Milner. Fees- £18 million ($27.9million) (plus Stephen Ireland).
8. Rio Ferdinand is back at number eight position for commanding £18 million in fees when joined Leeds United in 2000 ($27.9 million).
9. Liverpool player Glen Johnson. Fees- £18 million ($27.9 million).
10. Manchester United player Owen Hargreaves. Fees- £17 million ($26.4 million).
[Peace FM Online]