London has become home to the highest number of super-rich billionaires in the world, according to a survey carried out by the Sunday Times. London has 72 residents whose wealth is higher than £1 billion ($1.6 billion), more than Moscow (48) or New York (43). This is the first time that the number of billionaires in the UK has exceeded 100.
The British capital has 104 billionaires (worth a total of £301bn), almost 10 per cent of all the billionaires in the world. Indian-born brothers Srichand and Gopichand Hinduja, who run the multi-national Hinduja Group with a fortune of £11.9 billion have edged out Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and Alisher Usmanov, who owns a 30% stake in Arsenal to the top spot.
The only British-born billionaire in the top ten is the Duke of Westminster, who ranks tenth in the list with a £8.5billion fortune.
Moscow has the second highest billionaire population with 48, followed by New York with 43, followed by San Francisco, Los Angeles and Hong Kong.
Sunday Times 2014 Billionaire List:
1. Sri and Gopi Hinduja, £11.9 billion
2. Alisher Usmanov, £10.65 billion
3. Lakshmi Mittal and family, £10.25 billion
4. Len Blavatnik, £10 billion
5. Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli, £9.75 billion
6. John Fredriksen and family, £9.25 billion
7. David and Simon Reuben, £9 billion
8. Kirsten and Jorn Rausing, £8.8 billion
9. Roman Abramovich, £8.52 billion
10. The Duke of Westminster, £8.5 billion
11. Galen, Hilary and George Weston and family, £7.3 billion
12. Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken and Michel de Carvalho, £6.365 billion
13. Mohamed Bin Issa Al Jaber and family, £6.16 billion
14. Carrie and Francois Perrodo and family, £6.14 billion
15. German Khan, £6.08 billion
16. Sir David and Sir Frederick Barclay, £6 biilion
17. Hans Rausing and family £5.9 billion
18. Nicky Oppenheimer and family, £4.57 billion
19. Earl Cadogan and family, £4.2 billion
20. Joseph Lau and family, £4.03 billion
21. Sir Philip and Lady Green, £3.88 billion
22. Denis O’Brien, £3.854 billion
23. Mike Ashley, £3.75 billion
24. Sir Richard Branson and family, £3.6 billion
25. Idan Ofer, £3.43 billion
[Via – Dailymail]