First class seats have come a long way with many airlines offering a premium private space often with a sliding door to give you that feeling of a suite. Take Etihad for example. They recently launched The Residence suite, a three-room “penthouse in the sky”, on board its A380 aircraft. A truly unique and bespoke travel experience indeed. Flying first class is a coveted quality experience that redefines luxury travel with personalized services such as on ground limo transfers, premium lounges, fine dining, your own ‘bed’ in the sky, state of the art entertainment and more. This is the height of luxury indeed (no pun intended).
AirlineRatings.com, an independent safety and product rating website, has just released its top picks for 2017. They judged dozens of major airlines on criteria such as seat pitch and width, design and innovation, as well as service.
Let’s take a look at the top 9 in the best in First Class cabins.
9) Lufthansa –German airline Lufthansa’s First Class section comprises eight posh pods aboard its Airbus A380. Passengers can enjoy ergonomic comfort where their seats transform into a two-metre-long bed with a comfortable mattress topper and temperature-regulating duvet. More delights include a personal selection of inflight entertainment and Michelin-star-standard delicacies to satisfy your palate.
8) All Nippon Airways – ANA offers exclusive check-in service for their esteemed First Class passengers and a personal lounge to relax in, with the promise of incomparable luxury. Their first class square cabins are cleverly designed to provide the ultimate space, privacy, and comfort.
7) British Airways – British Airways First Suite is a haven of style and comfort where you can turn your seat into a 198 cm fully flat bed with a luxurious quilted mattress, crisp white cotton duvet and pillow. On ground you can indulge in a luxury facial treatment or relaxing massage from acclaimed British spa and skincare brand Elemis when you fly from London Heathrow Terminals 3 and 5 and New York JFK Terminal 7.
6) Air France – You will be whisked to a private check in lounge upon your arrival at the airport. Air France also gives you priority access at security checkpoints and once on board, you are personally introduced to the crew. The La Première cabin has 4 to 9 gently curved seats in elegant and subdued hues combining style and privacy. There’s also 1,000 hours of on-demand programming, including movies, games, TV shows, documentaries and music.
5) Cathay Pacific – Your private First Class suite comes padded with soft leather and comfortable fabrics. You can easily adjust your seat and even enjoy in-chair massages. Your seat transforms into one of the widest fully flat beds in the sky, with a thick mattress and 500-thread-count cotton duvets, pillows, and cushions. Cathay Pacific also offers a large, private working area, allowing you to spread out and concentrate while you work.
4) Qantas – Qantas First Lounge offers you a concierge and First Host ready to assist you with your travel needs. Once aboard your First Suite, you will find that you can adjust your seat, leg rest and lumbar from a relaxed reading position to a fully flat bed of up to 212 cm. There’s also an ottoman so you can host a companion inside your suite during the flight. All first meals are designed by Neil Perry and made to order with the finest ingredients.
3) Emirates – Each suite comes fully equipped with a sliding door, a personal mini-bar, adjustable ambient lighting, its own vanity table, mirror and wardrobe. If you want to stretch out and sleep you can convert your seat to a fully flat-bed with a mattress. From Hydra Active Microcapsule Technology pyjamas that keeps your skin soft while flying to Bulgari amenity kits you can be sure to experience a luxurious journey from start to finish.
2) Singapore Airlines – First class comes with a generous 35 inches wide seat which transforms into a fully-flat bed to give you greater sleeping comfort. Their menu includes creations by notable chefs from their international culinary panel. You also have over 1,000 entertainment options – movies, television programmes, music, games and apps on a 23-inch personal LCD, with Bose noise-cancelling headphones.
1) Etihad – Etihad revolutionized First Class with the First Apartment. The First Apartment redefines luxury with an upholstered armchair and a separate 6-foot 10-inch fully-flat bed, and doors that close to provide a more private experience. Each First Suite also has a personal wardrobe and skincare range from Omorovicza, Hungarian luxury skincare line. Indulge in fine dining with an exquisite seven-course tasting menu with amuse bouche, granita and pre-dessert tasters.