While brands like Hublot, Louis Vuitton, and FIFA itself are raking the moolah in the FIFA 2010 World Cup season, why would the players lag behind? Here’s a list of the most expensive football players playing at this year’s football extravaganza. Topping the list is the 22-year old star striker from Argentina, Lionel Messi. A Barcelona club is willing to up their stakes as high as $98.3 million for him. Taking the second spot is Real Madrid midfielder Cristiano Ronaldo. Although the Portugal team captain is in the news for all the wrong reasons this season, at $92.2 million, he’s a good player to have in the team. Rounding up the top three is the Spanish captain Xavi. This 30-year old Barcelona mid-fielder is worth $79.9 million. Rest of the list after the jump…
4. Spanish and Barcelona midfielder Andres Iniesta ($73.8 million).
5. Arsenal and Spanish midfielder Cesc Fabregas ($67.6 million).
6. Manchester United and English striker Wayne Rooney ($65.1 million).
7. French team captain and Bayern Munich player Franck Ribery ($61.5 million).
8. Liverpool and Spanish striker Fernando Torres (around $61.5 million).
9. Brazil and Real Madrid midfielder Kaka ($61.5 million).
10. English team captain and Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerard (close to $61.5 million).