Dubai will be home to the world’s first temperature-controlled city including an 8 million square foot shopping complex called ‘Mall of the World’, His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum announced yesterday. Though plans for the Mall of the World were originally revealed 18 months ago, the latest announcement indicates that substantial work on the project is likely to begin, though the cost and completion date of the project has not been announced yet. Here are 11 interesting facts about the upcoming world’s largest mall:
11. The mall will be built using state-of-the-art technology to reduce energy consumption and carbon footprint ensuring high levels of environmental sustainability.
10. The huge construction is expected to attract 180 million visitors a year. It will also be Dubai’s largest celebration centre with a capacity to accommodate 15,000 revellers at one time.
9. Tourists will be able to enjoy a week-long stay without the need to leave the city or use a car.
8. The mall will have a 3 million sq. ft dedicated area to its Wellness District, providing rejuvenation services. From holistic experience, healthcare, surgical procedures and cosmetic treatments, wellness facilities will be available.
7. The project will include designated parking areas with a capacity to host up to 50,000 cars on the ground level.
6. Dubai Cultural District inside mall will be hub for cultural facilities and events and will combines experiences built around New York’s Broadway. The Dubai Cultural District will have a capacity to host conferences, weddings and meetings. It will also have a dedicated theatre district for Broadway theatre. The Celebration Walk, similar to the Ramblas Street in Barcelona, will connect the cultural district to the rest of the mall.
5. The complex will be built near the Mall of the Emirates, which boasts an indoor ski slope, and a short drive from the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest tower, and the adjacent Dubai Mall.
4. The Mall of the World, managed by Dubai Holding, will be located along Shaikh Zayed Road.
3. The project will see the world’s largest mall connected to 100 hotels and serviced apartments buildings with 20,000 hotel rooms.
2. The Mall of the World will comprise the world’s largest indoor theme park covered by a glass dome during the summer and will open up during the winter months to provide an open air-street like retail shopping experience.
1. Spread over an area of 50 million sqft, the world’s first temperature controlled city will be home to the largest shopping mall in the world with an area of 8 million sqft.